Role, identity and meaningful engagement are all important aspects of who we are. The addition of a men’s shed into a garden can provide opportunity for meaningful engagement, socialisation with peers and reinforce sense of identity. Ideally the shed should be large enough to accommodate 5-6 people comfortably.
Access Into The Garden
To ensure the shed is an enabling environment consider:
- Bench heights to work at when both standing and sitting
- Adequate lighting
- Safe storage of tools and materials to reduce trip hazards
- Secure storage for any dangerous tools or chemicals
- Easy circulation paths around the shed
- Wide enough benches to accommodate people working side by side for supervision and support
- Easy access electrical plug points with RCD switched circuitry
- Create a social space out of the shed area by including a patio lean to with decking and benches, seats and fridge for cold drinks at the end of a hard days work and don’t forget the radio to listen to the footy!