Dementia Care Environment Audit Tools & Services
Audit tools can provide a useful framework for assessing the care environment and highlighting areas for change. They provide a systematic reference point for indicating areas of deficiency and are based on a set of best practice principles or guidelines. Below is a selection of audit tools available for dementia care environments.
- The Dementia Friendly Community Environment Assessment Tool – The DFC-EAT has been carefully constructed to help us understand more about how our buildings can support, or hinder, people with dementia: Download the DFC-EAT Assessment Spreadsheet | Download the DFC-EAT Booklet.
- Dementia Therapeutic Garden Audit Tool - The Dementia Therapeutic Garden Audit Tool is adapted from the Alzheimer’s Garden Audit Tool (AGAT). DEEP has adapted the tool for an Australian garden: view | download PDF
- Environmental Audit Tool Review - ‘The use of environmental assessment tools for the evaluation of Australian residential facilities for people with dementia’ (Richard Fleming. 2010) view | download PDF
- The Environmental Audit Tool - view | download PDF
- The Environmental Audit Handbook - view | download PDF
- The Environmental Audit Tool – High Care - The (EAT-HC) can be used to audit facilities where people with dementia are less mobile or where residents are still very active download ZIP
- Lighting Audit Tool - view | download PDF
Other Dementia Design Audit Tools
- BEAT D – Built Environment Assessment Tool: Dementia - (iPod/ iPhone / iPad app)
- ECAT – Environment & Communication Assessment Toolkit for Dementia Care (Jennifer Brush, Margaret Calkins, Carrie Bruce and Jon Sanford. 2012)
- Alzheimer’s Australia WA DEEP Consultancy Service – The DEEP team can provide audits of your existing internal and external environments as well as work with your design and architect team to ensure any new projects meet best practice in dementia enabling design (Fee applicable) Please contact: email@example.com
- Alzheimer’s Australia Vic (AAV) offer a consultancy service for residential aged care and community projects. Whether renovating, extending or building, a consultant will visit your organisation, undertake an audit based on the dementia enabling environment principles and provide you with up to date advice for designing for people with dementia. (Fees applicable) For further information call (03) 9816 5708 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The University of Wollongong based NSW/ACT - Dementia Training Study Centre (DTSC) is offering free consultancy services on designing dementia-friendly residential care environments, hospitals and inpatient units across Australia. The initiative is fully funded by the Australian Government and includes the provision of consultancies to at least 25 hospital-based projects across Australia. To book a consultaton call (02) 4221 5927; or email email@example.com.